Wednesday 6 February 2013

My second Mum

The challenge on UKS was a bit different this week but right up my street.  I realised that Mary, my second mum, did not feature in any of my albums so it was time to rectify that.  I have also used a sketch supplied by the sketchy scrappers on UKS therby double dipping and completing both challenges!

Although I'm not completely sure this page is "me" I have used some really old papers and embellies on it as I am determined to make my pages with old stash and use it up!  Thank you to the lovely Julie who gifted me the Imaginesce Love Me papers (she might not remember) as part of a kit swap challenge at the Pink Booby Crop!

So this was the sketch for the sketch challenge;


And this was the challenge criteria;

Points summary ~ 10 points for each:
+ Make the subject an important person(s) in your life (can include pets)
+ Use a monogram embellishment
+ Journal and title about their character, your relationship or information about them


And here is my page, My second Mum;


I have placed most of my journalling behind the photo on a tag.  Mary was my mum's best friend.  She was the lady who I stayed with when my parents went on holiday in term time! (I was at secondary school then).  She taught me how to cross stitch and do other crafts.  We baked together, played games together and had days out especially when her relatives visited and needed a tour guide!  She was Danish by birth (which is why I wanted to use hearts on the page as they are very big in Danish design!) but had also lived in Germany and New York so had a wealth of tales to tell.  I always enjoyed spending time with her and her husband and as they had no children of their own I was a surrogate daughter.  I visited every time I went home when I had kids of my own so I must scrap some pics of the children with her too.  

Sadly she passed away a few years ago.  I was thinking of her a lot about a year ago and missing her greatly when I went into the loft one day to sort out some boxes and found a beautiful glass heart she had given me when I was young ( a typical Danish ornament).  I wasn't looking for it but felt it was a sign she was still watching over me so it now hangs in a window where the light can shine through it :)



8 comments:

KraftyKaren said...

Beautiful layout and how lovely that you have the heart to always remind you of her xx

Sandra said...

Beautiful, and I'm sure she'll be looking down an smiling at your gorgeous layout of her

Lou said...

aww a lovely page for what sounds like a lovely lady x I have a Danish friend and fabric hearts always remind me of her x

Jess said...

Beautiful layout, she sounds like a lovely lovely lady. She'd be very proud xx

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

This is lovely Julia. Both the LO, the story behind it and the lady herself. A wonderful tribute.
Fi xx

Julesmichelle said...

Julia that is a lovely page and the words you have written made me feel a bit emotional. What a gorgeous tribute to your second Mum

Carin McDonough said...

I can't see the sketch but a gorgeous layout and what a beautiful story to go with it :)

Lynne said...

Julia a beautiful LO and a love story to cherish and pass on to your children too xxx

Post a Comment